July 22, 2014

handmade journal


Today I'll be showing you a project that I've been working on recently. I'm going to be going on a trip soon and I really wanted to have a nice place to document it and so I decided to make a notebook. I've made simple little notebooks by stapling some paper together before, but this time, I wanted to make it really durable and easy to use. I have a book that is all about bookmaking and has lots of step-by-step projects, but I wanted to try it on my own, so I simply looked at some of the pictures and figured it out as I went along.

First, I grabbed a stack of thick white paper and folded each sheet in half. I used a pencil to mark the placement of the holes on one of these sheets. I then gathered up all of the paper used a needle to slowly, carefully punch through it.


Next, I threaded my needle with some yellow embroidery floss and separated the sheets of paper into four groups. I wove the needle through the holes in the stacks of paper and connected them to create one neat pile of paper.

Next, I cut out two cardboard rectangles that were the same size as the pages and used rubber cement to cover them in nice paper. Don't you just love the pattern? I got it from a collection of animal and nature themed scrapbook paper.

I found some old, light blue fabric and cut out a strip of it to connect the two covers.

Finally, I used the rubber cement to glue the first sheet of paper to the inside of the front cover, and the last sheet of paper to the inside of the back cover.

All done!






Making your own journal makes writing and drawing in it just that much sweeter, don't you think? I really want to do this project again, though I'd like to make it much bigger and use it as a general doodling/idea notebook. I didn't use very many pages for this notebook since I figured I wouldn't need that much space for a travel journal.

Thanks for reading!