September 5, 2014

how to organize your computer files


Hello! Today I've got some tips for organizing your computer files. I guess this is sort of related to my desk/craft/work are series because a lot of use a computer at our desk, and just because it's a computer doesn't mean it doesn't need to be organized!

Before we start, I recommend checking out Google Drive if you don't already use it. I write and store most of my text-based files on it and it has really been invaluable for working on homework and collaborating on group projects.

Let's get started!


First, create some very generic folders. For example: Blogging, Personal, and School.

For me, my school folder has by far the most files, so I'll start with that one. Inside your school folder, create a folder for each school year. When you go through each school year create a folder for each subject, then inside those folders create a folder for each big project. If it's just a short assignment then you might want to file it away into a folder like "Poem Assignments" or "'Name of Book' Weekly Responses".

Here is an example of what your folders might look like:


As for the personal folder, to me that's just a folder where I put things that aren't related to school or blogging. So I just make folders as I go along. For example, if I'm throwing a party and I have some files (invites, ideas, shopping lists), I can make a folder titled "Party Planning" and give each party its own folder.

If you're a blogger you can put all of your posts, lists of ideas, and design elements into the blogging folder. In your design elements folder create some folders like "Headers", "Sidebar Buttons", "Social Media Buttons", etc., so if in the future you want to go back to an old design you can easily find exactly what you need.

As for photos, it's up to you how you want to sort them. When I upload photos to my computer they are sorted by the day they were taken and I just leave them like that, but you could sort them by event to be more organized.

The most important thing to remember is to stick to your organizing system. Always put files in their proper place. You will thank yourself later.

That's all for my tips!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I use Google Drive too, and I find it really helpful. I just followed your blog, it's so cute!

    strawberriegirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I completely agree! I don't know how I would survive without Google Drive to help me organize my schoolwork.

      Delete